Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Why I Won't Adopt Your Inner Kid

I'm a "yes man" (except that I'm a woman) in as much as I have a terrible time telling people "no" when they ask me pleadingly if I will give them their heart's greatest desire. After all, I'm physically capable of doing it; In theory it's nothing more than words on a screen, written to satisfy the emotional needs of another person. It's a kindness to take care of people when you're capable of doing the work necessary to care for them, isn't it? Don't we all wish to be kind?

Let me break down the reasons why asking me to adopt your inner kid is impractical.
  1. I just don't like being asked. It's very difficult to say no to somebody, especially when you understand their need. Being asked makes me highly uncomfortable and if we were on our way to bonding, there's a chance that asking me will interrupt the process that might have actually led to me adopting your inner kid. I'm not doing this to be cruel; I'm just telling you the truth.
  2. If I agree to adopt your inner kid, then everybody else will want me to adopt their inner kid too. It might not occur to you that other people in the group have already asked me to adopt their children, but to put it in simple terms, three people at Birchwood Isle have at this point asked me to adopt one of their children. I can't adopt all of them, and if I agree to adopt yours, then that's not fair to others.
  3. I have a trusting relationship with my primary roleplay partner, Ava. I role play with everybody and I do not consider myself to be insular with Ava in that I'm willing to play with and punish everyone in the group -- within reason and moderation. I'm even willing to adopt a small handful of kids -- at my discretion. However, my trust has been placed in Ava and I know that our relationship is symbiotic. She gives me more than she takes from me.
  4. In general, I'm doing more for the group than I'm getting from the group. Ava and I operate on a 2/3 rule. Each of us believes that we should be giving 2/3 and taking 1/3. Most of the time I'm already giving my 2/3, and I'm not ready to give up the final 1/3 of time that I have to focus on my own inner kids in order to focus on your inner kid. I'm sorry if you feel this is unfair, but I'm giving more than I'm taking.
  5. I don't know you very well. Ava's and my relationship took three months to get to the point I was willing to parent one of her kids (Bryn, as it happens), and then took another nearly three months before we were even actually friends. It took a lot of time before we built the trust that we have now. We've been together (intimately) for three years now, and we live together. Getting to know you takes time that many aren't willing to spend.
  6. I'm afraid I'll abandon you. Part of knowing someone well, and trusting them well, is knowing that they aren't going to abandon you or that you aren't going to abandon them. Most of us have at some point or another been abandoned by a roleplay parent. I don't want to be the person who gets too exhausted or frustrated with having to do a lot of punishing and therefore walks away from you. Trust me when I tell you that I have little patience for inner kids who drive from one punishment thread to the next, and I'll wind up moving on. I know myself: Trust me.
  7. You're too demanding. Insisting that I adopt your inner kid is a very demanding thing to do, and most people who ask do so repeatedly over a period of days or weeks (often before leaving the group, I'm afraid). It's better if you let me interact with you naturally, get to know your inner kid, and come to you. We do adoption on Birchwood Isle for a reason, and our adoption policies make this an extended process that takes a long time so that both parties can be sure. By the time three months is up, if you keep demanding, I'm going to be sure. I'm going to be sure I do not want to adopt your inner kid.
If I want to adopt your kid, I will make sure to come to you with the invitation. I'm not trying to be mean about this, but I'm trying to give you an opportunity to prevent me from getting overwhelmed by you before you even have the chance to explore that type of relationship.

This has been a personal post. Other players may feel differently than I do, so feel free to add your own thoughts to the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment